Structure and Written Expression
1. Spain and Portugal’s competition for economic domination in the Americas----after Columbus’ return to Europe, when they both realized that the New land could increase their gold reserves.(A) began
(D) was beginning
2. A snake’s heat seeking system for finding prey resembles----, except that a missile heat seeking system is huge and clumsy compared to the snake’s.(A) how a missile heat seeker is
(B) a missile heat seeker
(C) a missile heat seeker is
(D) as a missile heat seeker
3. Thomas Henry----spoke and wrote frequently on the values of scientific education.(A) a populist writer
(B) writer of populist
(C) whose populist writing
(D) writing populist
4. Although bats avoid entangled areas, they can dart about in the room filled with criss-crossing wires without ever hitting one----they use the navigation functions in their ear.(A) as long
(B) so long
(C) so long that
(D) as long as
5. Slavery began Jamestown in 1619----spread to colonies in the south when it became apparent that it would begun an integral part of the economy by the 1770s(A) while
(D) at last
6. When two words are joined to make a new special meaning, its----and the result is called a compound.(A) joining up of the meaning
(B) meaning joins up
(C) joined up by
(D) joined up meaning
7. ----electric eels send a series of blips of electricity into the water around them and they can detect the pattern of electricity of the water changes.(A) All of
(D) Of each
8. Some machines produced large numbers of interchangeable parts that----efficiently with the “interchangeable parts system” of the great inventor Eli Whitney.(A) could be used
(C) used to
(D) could have used
9. The US attempted 3 invasions of Lower Canada in the late 1800s, -------, but showing the British that they had a formidable army.(A) of none winning them
(B) none winning of them
(C) winning none of them
(D)of them non winning
10. Syllogism is a form of reasoning------ conclusion is reached from two statements called premises.(A) which a
(B) in which a
(C) that a
(D) to which
11. ----an ownership of nearly 60 to 62 percent of corporate equities, this mean 1-2 percent of American society possesses about 43 percent of the total wealth of the nation.(A) The range of
(C) Ranging from
(D) The range
12. Those global resources----already stretched to the breaking point in some areas of the world, are still probably weakening under the pressures of human exploitation.(A) are
(B) that are
(C) that are not
(D) are not
13. The Greenhouse effect is a phenomenon that is caused when carbon dioxide----and is trapped in the atmosphere(A) is released
(C) has released
(D) had released
14. ----helped form the principles which were to later affect the American constitution.(A) While the characteristics of colonial values
(B) Both colonial characteristics and their values
(C) That the values of the colonies
(D) The values of colonial characteristics
15. Speech is like a piece of cloth----many threads including a voice box, lips, tongue, and a good brain.(A) made of
(D) has made
16. As the US border pushed further west, the Mid-west territories developed economically and industrially and big cities-such as Chicago, St. Louis and Cincinnati-appeared.
17. Colonial merchants, became extremely angrily, and adamantly refused to accept legislation passed by the British Parliament in the 1760s.
18. The use of tools was one of the driving force towards the evolution of a better brain because the characteristics of good memory, foresight and innovativeness were needed.
19. The number of seats in the Senate has always equal to twice the number of states, thus there are two senators for every state.
20. Because basic, English words often lack a variety of forms for different grammatical uses of function, it allows this basic words to shift from one part of the speech to another.
21. The Nobel Prize for Physics is one of the six prizes awarded annually by the Nobel
foundation for outstanding achievement in the field for Physics.
22. England and the United States is having no legally authorized group like the French Academy in France, cannot dictate to the people what words can be accepted in the language.
23. After the civil war, a wave of new immigrants in the United States arrived, included Italy, Spain, Greece, Poland, Russia, and China.
24. Indian populations diminished rapidly in the ;late 1900s, through the spread of foreign diseases, losing resources and wars inflicted upon them by ambitious white settlers.
25. When we consume the earth’s resources, we need to realize there is a level of consumption which sustainability can be achieved.
26. Studies have shown that violence on prime-time network TV stunts the analytical, emotion and imaginative cultivation of active learning in a child.
27. American families have long be known for differing greatly in their expectations about what going to college will mean in their children’s lives.
28. Despite the rhetorical towards reducing fossil fuel consumption in the world, the only slackening of demand occurred briefly during the 1974 energy crisis.
29. A great myth has arisen over the years that Columbus was unaware the earth was a circular, when in fact all navigators of the time knew it was.
30. In 1860 the US was fourth in world industrial output, only rivaling by traditional European superpowers like England.